Suffer from cold sores? Ever find yourself asking ‘why me?’ With 85% of the UK population carrying the cold sore virus, it doesn’t seem fair that some of us have to put up with the nasty sores! Turns out it’s not all down to luck, with several factors likely to be responsible for a nasty outbreak. Although the HSV1 (cold sore) virus can stay inactive for a long time, certain lifestyle factors can act as a trigger.
To help you get clued up, we’ve put together a list of the most common causes of cold sores and what you can do to avoid them:
- Cold weather is commonly thought of as the only time a cold sore can appear, but it’s actually harsh sunlight that can set them off. Sun protection is important for lots of reasons, so make sure you wear a hat and sun cream in hot weather.
- Stress can also trigger a cold sore, as well as having lots of other negative effects on the body. Try to take enough time to relax and do things you enjoy, or try practising mindfulness.
- Another factor that isn’t widely known is the effect of hormone imbalances on cold sores, meaning women between the ages of 25-35 and 45-55 are the most at risk.
- A low immune system also increases the risk, so eating a healthy diet with lots of fresh fruit and veg, as well as regular exercise, will help to keep you fit and cold sore free.
- Know someone with the virus? This can be transferred by kissing, blisters and saliva so take extra care when sharing cups, towels or razors.
- Although you might think you’re only at risk if you come into contact with someone whose cold sore has blistered, they’re actually contagious from when they first start to develop. This means it’s important to be careful even if the cold sore is barely there!
Sometimes, these lifestyle choices aren’t always enough, which is where lipivir® steps in. The clear gel product, which if applied frequently to cold sore prone parts of the face, will prevent cold sores from forming at all.
Get yours right here in our Shop!